Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Today

Today we learned that we may not get our annual raises this year. It was disappointing for about 30 seconds. Then we found out that our health insurance premiums could be going up anywhere between 12 and 30%. In an effort to keep our insurance costs down the owner, HR manager & CEO will be determining just how much extra insurance will be. They are hoping to not have to pass on the rising costs to us employees, which would mean no raises.
I can certainly appreciate this effort, however I am so unimpressed with our health insurance companies these days. I am not completely in the know about this national health care reform, but I do know that if things don't start getting better no one will be able to live comfortably anymore. We rely on our employers to provide us with health coverage, but we also rely on them to reward us for our good efforts each year, and to also make sure that we can afford to live as the cost of every day living keeps going up as well. I'm sure I make more than many of the employees in my company, but I also know that there are many other employees who make a hell of a lot more than I do. I know that I am worth more than what I make, but I also know that the job market is horrible around here right now.
I will take no raise & affordable health care over no job any day.

No comments: