Monday, March 15, 2010

Shannon's Book-Writing Quilt




This weekend I was finally able to sew something from start to finish.
I made a lap quilt for my friend, Shannon, at work for her birthday. She is an aspiring novelist and has been working diligently on her first novel which we are all hoping will get published.
Shannon's favorite color is pink, so I used Moda fabric in the Boutique Line by Chez Moi for the squares. The white fabric is my favorite discovery of all time: Kona White Muslin. This is the softest, most lovely feeling fabric ever. I'm talking Egyptian Cotton Sheets quality. Yumm! The backing is a basic bubble gum pink flannel for warmth and coziness.
Since I don't have a darning foot or a nice quilting machine (ssshhhh, don't tell my Singer) I am forced to improvised when quilting. I actually sew the 3 layers together inside out, flip it right side out, then I sew along the edge about 1/2 inch in. I usually have a little bunching when I connect the end to the beginning, but I'm learning to accept that for now. On this quilt I added a pink wavy border all the way around and a pink wavy line down the middle. Again with the bunching where the stitching meets up with itself, but, ah well.
So this quilt is named Shannon's Book-Writing Quilt because I want her to cuddle up in it while she writes her novel. I'm not quite sure how inspirational a pink floral quilt can be when writing a murder-mystery, but at least she'll be warm while she writes :)
Edited to add: Oops!!! Sorry! It was the Charisma Collection by Chez Moi, not Boutique.

2 comments:

Pam's Oils said...

Cool quilt. have you seen the new die-cutting machine for quilters? Looks like a Cricut but cuts fabric. Seems pretty cool and that it would save tons of prep time but not sure how well it works.

Missie said...

Hey Pam!
It's called the "GO" and I have seen it in action at my LQS. I was going to get it as a Christmas gift, but it costs $350 and only comes with a couple basic dies. Other dies cost upwards of $75 each. If I were into piecing, it might be ok, but for now, I'll stick with my rotary cutter.